Why Organic Cosmetics?
It’s easy to think of being green in the way we use energy or the food we eat, but what about other aspects of our lives that can be overlooked? What about the clothes we wear or the makeup we use? They are put directly on to our skins so deserve to be the highest quality of natural products and need to be produced in a sustainable way.
We use cosmetics almost from the moment we wake up. Just think of the number of cosmetics you use—face wash, mascara, shampoo, cleanser, toner, moisturizer, lipstick, perfume, and many more. You use them on a daily basis and often leave them on your skin for hours. Our skin can absorb up to 60% of the cosmetic products we apply on our skin. As a result, the extensive use of traditional cosmetics leads to a chemical buildup in our body. On the other hand, organic cosmetics avoid the use of synthetic chemicals, artificial preservatives, irradiation, genetically modified organisms, and animal testing. This is the way that natural cosmetic companies like UniKa run their businesses, making sure that being beautiful doesn’t cost the earth.
Benefits of Using Natural and Organic Cosmetics
- They reduce your daily burden of chemicals: Conventional beauty products, irrespective of their price, typically contain numerous toxic substances.
- They are safer: Since organic products are made of natural, organically grown ingredients they are unlikely to cause any negative side-effects. You will be able to avoid the following drawbacks associated with conventional cosmetics like:
- Excessive dryness and flaking of skin
- Aggravation of breathing problems, sinusitis, and asthma
- Allergic reactions, such as rashes
- Damage to the skin, hair, and eyes due to overexposure to harsh chemicals
- They are Earth-friendly: Products made from conventionally produced ingredients can have a negative environmental impact. The manufacturing of chemical-heavy health and beauty products puts those chemicals, and many more, into the air and water, and even more go down your drain in your own home. When ingredients for natural health and beauty products are farmed and manufactured organically, fewer chemicals are put into the air and water.
- They will save your nose: Artificial fragrances are designed to cover up the smell of other chemicals used in traditional health and beauty products. The effect is that you have a chemical to cover up another chemical, and all those chemical smells can cause headaches in many people. Natural health and beauty products smell like their natural ingredients, not a cocktail of chemicals. If these products are scented with natural essential oils, they can even provide aromatherapy.
- They are more gentle over time: Many natural products work better than their conventional counterparts because they don’t contain unnecessary fillers or irritants. And while some unnatural products may seem to work better with the first try, over the long term, the harmful chemicals that made your skin feel cleaner or your hair feel smoother may actually cause damage.
These 5 benefits are some of the most important ones, but not the only ones. While we continue compiling the list, let me just leave you with a thought:
We try to exercise and eat well to be healthy, so why not take care of our skin too? We should watch not only what we put in our body, but on it as well. And what if while helping our body, we can help our planet too??? … Bonus!